Over 100 Chinese paintings on lanterns by the Chan Lim Family of Artists and Students are on exhibit at The Block Atrium until February 11. The exhibit launch held last January 24 kicked off SM City North EDSA’s Chinese New Year celebration.
Meeting and learning from the master: Alex Chan Lim
Before the exhibit was formally opened to the public, there was a Q&A with and an on-the-spot demonstration by Alex Chan Lim. Like his siblings Felix, Rolex, and Jolex, Alex is an engineer by profession, but he has kept painting since he was 11 years old. The name Chan Lim is formed by combining the last names of the siblings’ parents. The family patriarch, whose real name is Jose but signs as Chan Lim, has dabbled in Western art, specializing in oil and watercolor.
The Chan Lim family of artists have conducted numerous art classes, workshops, and on-the-spot demonstrations, and have joined several art exhibits locally and internationally. To date, they have held 14 family exhibits.
Experiencing Chinese painting
I have always been interested in Chinese painting but never gotten around to attending a workshop until yesterday. The Chan Lim Family of artists and students helped us participants set up the materials (paper, Chinese brush, ink, water) and patiently guided us in making our first brush strokes.
More activities to celebrate the Year of the Monkey at SM City North EDSA
Aside from wishing all its visitors a bright future with the grand collection of beautiful hand-painted lanterns at The Block Atrium, SM City North EDSA has lined up other exciting activities in celebration of the Chinese New Year:
- Oriental Culture Market, February 2 to 15, mall hours, City Center East and West Mall 2nd Floor
- Astrological Forecast with Marites Allen, February 7, 5 PM, The Block Atrium
- Golds of Fortune, January 24 to February 11, The Block Ground Floor and the Annex Ground Floor
- Oriental Classics, January 31, 5 PM, The Block Atrium
- Chinese Wushu Arts, January 31, 5 PM, The Block Atrium
- Chinese Arts in Letters Calligraphy Workshop, February 6, 2 PM, The Block Atrium
- Chinese Court & Folk Dances, February 8, 2 PM, The Block Atrium